In 1896 chair-maker Charles Blumsom founded the timber importing business of C Blumsom in Bethnal Green, before moving to Bangs Wharf, Bow Bridge in East London E3. Later, it moved to bigger premises (some 2.5 acres) at Maple Wharf, River Road in Barking where the company remains today with the fifth generation.
“A trusted family business, with over a 100 years experience”
Advanced on-site machining, straight from the shelf or Custom Machining.
When Robert took over control of the company he recognised that for the company to prosper he needed to expand the operation and decided that by opening an on site mill he could offer milling services to its existing customer base and open up new markets. The mill now forms an integral part of our business and has over the last few years benefited from a complete upgrade costing in excess of £750,000 meaning that our mill now boasts some of the most highly advanced machining facilities in the country.
Robert also saw the opportunity to develop the existing trade counter and in 1995 recruited Kevin Tyler (now our Operations Director) to establish and grow what is now our Timber Centre. The Timber Centre welcomes both trade and retail customers and has extensive stocks of sheet materials, softwood, carcassing and stock mouldings. The Timber Centre also has the added advantage of having access to our comprehensive hardwood stock and bespoke milling facilities. Another product that has flourished over the last few years is wood flooring and our showroom at Maple Wharf displays a large selection of solid and engineered wood flooring products.
Today, with over a century of trading experience, Blumsom Timber Centre maintains its reputation as a specialist Hardwood Importer – the last to be located in London – backed up with our Timber Centre, and Blumsom Custom Milling facilities.
Health and Safety for London’s Premier Timber Merchant
Blumsom have an excellent health and safety record and comply with the legal requirements for the safe stacking and storage of timber laid down in the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974, the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999, and the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.
Our statement of general policy is:
- to provide adequate control of the health and safety risks arising from our work activities
- to consult with our employees on matters affecting their health and safety
- to provide and maintain safe plant and equipment
- to ensure safe handling and use of substances
- to provide information, instruction and supervision for employees
- to ensure all employees are competent to do their tasks, and to give them
- to prevent accidents and cases of work-related ill health
- to maintain safe and healthy working conditions
- to review and revise this policy as necessary at regular intervals